How do I find a leak in my pond?
In order to find the leak, you need to narrow down what is causing the leak. The problem could be in the plumbing, waterfall or the actual pond. To find out if it is the actual pond, you should turn off the pump and see if the water keeps dropping. If it does, then the issue is in the pond. If the water level stays the same, then the issue is in the waterfall or with the plumbing. Once you have narrowed it down to the pond, waterfall or plumbing there are some steps to find the leak.
For a leak in the home pond:
- Leave the pump off and allow it to leak until it stops. Move the aquatic life if the water level gets too low.
- Once the water level stops dropping, look around the edges for an irregularity in the liner.
- Replace the liner or patch up a hole if necessary
For a leak in the plumbing:
- Check the joints of the plumbing
- Make sure there are no leaks or cracks
- Replace joints that are defective
For a leak in the waterfall:
- Look around the edges to see if you have a low spot.
- If a low spot in the pond liner is found, adjust the liner or stone until the leak is resolved.
- If there is not a low spot, inspect or remove stone in the waterfall to search for the pond leak.
- Also inspect the pond filter for leaks, it may need to be resealed.
What type of maintenance is required for my backyard pond?
With the weather in Atlanta, the main issue with a backyard pond is the algae content. This is controlled by its nutrient intake. The nutrients found in ponds are nitrogen compounds and phosphorus. This can build up due to the fish that live in the pond and fertilizer run off from your lawn. Moreover, plant life should be introduced to the pond. The plants counter act the nutrient build up by absorbing them, which therefore decreases excessive algae growth.
What can I do to stop Blue Herons from eating the fish in my Koi pond?
One way to prevent Blue Herons from eating the fish in your Koi pond is to buy fishing line or netting. By creating a simple grid over your pond with fishing line you can keep the Blue Heron out. Moreover, it is not visible unless you are looking for it, so it does not detract from the beauty of the pond. Another way is to use landscaping to keep the birds out. By cleverly placing bushes and shrubbery, you can avoid the presence of Blue Herons. However, this can be more costly than just using fishing line. Pond nets are also a very effective method of detracting the Herons from eating the koi or goldfish in your pond.
How much do I need to feed my Koi and Goldfish in my pond?
The amount of times you feed your fish depends on the temperature of your home pond.
- 60-85 degrees- feed 3 to four times a week
- 50-60 degrees- feed 1 to 2 times a week
- 50 degrees or lower – stop feeding until spring
Make sure you are giving them enough food that they can eat within a couple of minutes. If it takes them longer than a couple of minutes, then you know to give them less the next time you feed them.
Universal Aquatics LLC, of Atlanta Georgia, has over 15 years of experience in pond design, installation and maintenance of koi ponds, water gardens and waterfalls. We service multiple cities all around Atlanta such as Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Suwanee, Buckhead and Dunwoody.