Having a koi pond in your backyard not only helps improve the value and look of your home, but it provides an instant stress reliever right in your backyard. Koi fish have amazing colors and live a
long life. They are graceful fish. Plus, they have a variety of characteristics that make them perfect for backyard ponds. Here are a few things to keep in mind when building a koi pond:
- Size Matters: Koi have a tendency to grow large, so the pond needs to be big enough to accommodate their growth. That means the koi pond needs to hold at least 500 gallons of water.
- Watch The Temp: The temperature and the quality of water in the pond helps determine how healthy they are. Koi tend to thrive in cold water but seem to do best when the water hovers around 60-70 degrees.
- Make Shade: Koi take comfort in the shade, and water lilies are great for that. So, owners can cover their ponds with up to 70 percent of its surface by lilies. Lilies reduce the extent of algae in the water, other than the fact that they provide the koi with cover and shade. These fish can only tolerate about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight, so they need cover. Also, the water lilies help attract insects and other plants that the koi eat, so they serve a dual purpose.
- Make More Shade: When building a koi pond, take advantage of other sources of natural protection such as surrounding trees. This greater limits the direct sunlight that the koi have to endure. The only thing to consider is that if you build the pond under the tree, it can expose the surface to debris from the tree like falling leaves, twigs or branches.
- Save The Fish! Raccoons and Blue Heron apparently love the taste of fresh koi sushi, so it’s important to factor that in when building a pond. This means you need to have a deep enough pond and provide hiding places so that the fish can hide from natural predators.
Koi ponds are a wonderful addition to any backyard. They can include other water features as well such as water fountains or waterfalls that can turn your backyard into your own private paradise. It’s a great way to relieve stress and give yourself a quiet place for reflection.
Universal Aquatics has been building koi ponds and other water features for more than a decade now. We provide waterfalls, pondless waterfalls, ponds of all types and water fountains. We’ve had our work displayed on the TV show “Pond Stars”. Call us if you’d like a koi pond in your backyard!